I was searching online last night for something that would be a bit different for breakfast this morning (Sunday mornings are almost the only day of the week where I have time to make a proper breakfast…), but also healthy and delicious. These muffins hit the spot! They are filling, not overly sweet, quick to make and the kids thought it was cool to eat “cupcakes” for breakfast (I used colourful muffin liners to make the more attractive-looking). I whipped up the amount given in the original recipe and actually had enough for 18 muffins, so breakfast and snacks are sorted for the next couple of days!
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (this is an optional ingredient, but I think it goes well with the applesauce)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chilled applesauce
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line or grease 12 muffin cups (depending on size of muffin forms, you might find the mixture yields enough for more, or less, muffins).
2. Blend together brown sugar, oat bran, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add eggs, chilled applesauce, and vegetable oil. Mix until well-blended. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.