This is about to become my new favourite Wintertime food! I made this for Sunday lunch using a Betty Crocker recipe (although I reduced the amount of chillie powder called for to make it child friendly!) and it was a big hit. I loved how easy it was to make, how tasty and satisfying it was to eat.
Ingredients: (makes 8 servings)
- 1kg ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 can of peeled, chopped tomatoes (with juice)
- Tomato paste (about half a tube)
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground chilli pepper (Warning: I feared this might be waaaaay too hot for the kids, or me, so reduced is to about 1 teaspoon! This was spicy, with a lingering “after-heat” but in no way unpleasant)
- Grated chedder cheese
1. Fully cook the ground beef in a large frying pan (it takes too long to cook ground meat in a crockpot).
2. Put all the ingredients except the kidney beans and grated cheese into the crock pot. Mix together and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
3. About 20-30 minutes before the end of cooking time, add the kidney beans and stir into the beef mixture.
4. Serve over boiled rice and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Voila! A hearty lunch or dinner that will warm you up from the inside out!